gender & diversity
- Only 2% of mutual funds, for example, are managed exclusively by female portfolio managers,
- According to Morgan Stanley Research from 2016, a more-female workforce is correlated with higher average returns.
- A 2015 McKinsey report on 366 public companies found that those in the top quartile for ethnic and racial diversity in management were 35% more likely to have financial returns above their industry mean.
- Research has found that $12 trillion a year could be added to GDP in 2025 by improving equality across the globe. That would be equivalent in size to the GDP of Japan, Germany, and the United Kingdom combined.
- In a study analyzing teams from 4,277 companies in Spain using statistical models, they found that companies with more women were more likely to introduce radical new innovations into the market over a two-year period.
In spite of all this, many of the worlds leaders are not taking this seriously enough. So investors need to step up and lead the charge.
- How you hire: inequality can be addressed within organizations by having a diversity/equality policy to ensure that your organization isn’t falling to its own inherent biases. If you work for a company, speak up on the importance of having a diverse workforce.
- How you invest: There are a multitude of options that you can utilize to align your investments with a more diversity and equitable world. Check out the bottom of this page for more information.
- How you travel: Try to travel to places where you can broaden your exposure to people/cultures/etc that will make it easier to connect and understand the world outside your own.
- How you shop: where possible, try to buy things from companies founded by women, people of color, or other marginalized communities. This is a great way to vote with your dollars!
- ACLU: a legal organization fighting to protect and advance civil rights and liberties.
- NAACP: the largest civil rights organization in America working to end racial inequality.
- Lambda Legal: a legal organization committed to achieving full recognition of the civil rights of the LGBTQ community.
- Time’s Up: working to create a world where everyone is safe and respected at work.
- Black Lives Matter: a global organization working to eradicate white supremacy and deliver equality everywhere.
- The Trevor Project: providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to the LGBTQ community under the age of 25.
- Trans Lifeline: a grassroots hotline and microgrant organization offering emotional and financial support to the trans community.
- Planned Parenthood: providing essential healthcare support and services to women.